A school board will be established in Term 4, 2016, to provide strong governance and ensure clear strategic direction for Harrisdale Senior High School as an Independent Public School.
The board will be established within the requirements of the Western Australian School Education Act (1999), Regulations (2000) and the policy of the Department of Education.
A prospectus for the school board, has been prepared in consultation with the existing Harrisdale Senior High School Steering Committee, and is available below.
The prospectus provides information about the purpose, functions and composition of the board, as well as details of the election and selection of members.
Foundation School Board
Prospectus And Expressions Of Interest
The opening of Harrisdale Senior High School as an Independent Public School in 2017 provides an outstanding opportunity to establish a secondary school of excellence in the local area.
As an Independent Public School, Harrisdale Senior High School will have a School Board comprising parent, staff, community and business/ industry members. Parent and staff members will be elected in Term 1, 2017, in accordance with the requirements of the School Education Act (1999), Regulations (2000) and Department of Education policy1.
The Principal and the Harrisdale Senior High School Steering Committee will select community and business/industry members from nominations received. Individuals from these groups are invited to consider nominating for the Board.
The Principal is responsible for the educational leadership, operation and management of the school. To maximise the input of the Board in developing Harrisdale’s strategic direction, plans and policies, the Principal will seek advice and receive recommendations from the Board. The Principal will also report regularly to the Board on progress against the Harrisdale Senior High School business plan.
The School will participate in an independent review in 2019. The report of the review panel and its recommendations will be available publicly.
Functions of the Board
The Harrisdale Senior High School Board will act to promote the objectives and interests of the school community, its role being to provide strategic guidance and monitoring.
The School Board will participate fully in:
- Endorsing the Harrisdale Senior High School Delivery and Performance Agreement2.
- Endorsing and reviewing the school budget and business plan.
- Monitoring the school’s performance.
- Developing processes to review the satisfaction levels of parents, staff and students, with results reported in the annual school report.
- Endorsing the annual school report.
- Selecting the Principal when a vacancy arises.
The Board will play a proactive role in carrying out these functions and in the review and endorsement of school policies, plans and reports.
Structure of the Harrisdale Senior High School Board
The inaugural School Board will have between six and eight members, including:
- the Principal
- a staff member
- a parent member (elected by the parents of children enrolled at Harrisdale SHS in 2017)
- a community member nominated by the P&C (after the P&C Association is established in 2017)
- members from community and business/industry
The inaugural Board will prepare the Constitution that includes the final composition of the Board.
The composition of the Board will reflect the diversity of the school community and members will have the skills and experience required to provide sound governance and effective decision-making.
Expressions of Interest for the Harrisdale Senior High School Board
Community and business/industry leaders with professional skills and experience in one or more of the following areas are especially invited to put forward their resume for consideration:
- community service organisation
- youth work
- education (tertiary institution or training institute)
- experience on a school council or school board
- membership of a board (of a commercial or not-for-profit organisation)
- business/Industry leadership
- communications/marketing/public relations
In making this commitment, prospective Board members should be prepared to:
- commit to the school’s ethos and goals
- commit to the development of Harrisdale Senior High School as an Independent Public School
- contribute to the work of the Board
- be sensitive to differing views and have the ability to work in a spirit of cooperation
- be willing to donate time, expertise and influence The frequency and timing of meetings will be determined by the Harrisdale Senior High School Board. It is anticipated that four meetings will be held each year.
Appointment to the School Board
The P&C will appoint one community member within three months of the Association being established in 2017.
The Principal will conduct the election of the parent member by the end of Term 1, 2017. The parent member will be the parent or carer of a student enrolled at Harrisdale Senior High School at the time the election is held. Only parents/carers of enrolled students are eligible to vote.
The Principal will arrange for the election of the staff member by the end of Term 1, 2017. Only members of the School staff are eligible to vote.
Other appointments to the Board will be made through the following process:
- Suitably qualified and interested candidates are invited to forward an expression of interest (EOI) addressed to the Principal. The EOI should include a brief statement about the candidate’s interests in joining the Board as well as a resume of no more than three pages providing details of their skills and experience.
- From the EOIs for the community, business and industry membership categories, the Principal and Steering Committee will select members according to the desired skills, experience, personal attributes and diversity identified for the School Board. Existing Steering Committee members are eligible to submit an EOI and due care will be taken to manage any potential conflicts of interest during the selection process.
Submitting an Expression of Interest
Expressions of Interest are to be addressed to Mrs Leila Bothams, Principal, Harrisdale Senior High School, 1 Laverton Crescent, Harrisdale WA 6112.
Electronic copies are accepted and can be emailed to Harrisdale.SHS@education.wa.edu.au
Enquiries should be directed to the Principal (Tel. 9397 8000)
The closing date for expressions of interest is Monday 28 November 2016.
1 The School Board is equivalent to the School Council as defined in the School Education Act (1999) and Regulations (2000)
2 The Delivery and Performance Agreement between the Director General (Department of Education) and the Principal (Harrisdale Senior High School) sets out the expectations of the School, and resources and support provided to the School.